Making weight and maintaining your weight without having your body break down is one of the most difficult aspects to wrestling. Wrestlers, their coaches and their parents often have a hard time identifying what the best foods are for an athlete. Here are 10 great, non-processed, foods that not only can help you lose or maintain your weight, they provide your body with energy for workouts, aid in recovery and provide essential micro-nutrients.
- Whole Grains – Whole grains, such as breads and oatmeal, are great choices when you need energy. Being complete proteins, your body can use more of these foods for energy unlike empty calorie carbohydrates. They are also are digested slowly resulting in feeling fuller longer.
- Citrus fruits – From oranges, grapefruit, to lemons, and limes there are a plethora of different options to choice from. Citrus fruit are packed with vitamin C that will help with your immune system and help wake you up. They also contain natural sugars that will help give you energy.
- Banana – Bananas are packed with potassium and vitamin B that will give you a boost of energy and keep you feeling full throughout the day.
- Quinoa – Quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids and a good dose of iron and fiber. Quinoa also has many antioxidants and has been shown to have many anti-inflammatory properties.
- Nuts – Nuts, such as walnuts and almonds, are packed with good fats, fiber, protein, and vitamin E. They are easy to take on the go when you’re in a rush and provide you with energy while keeping you feel full.
Peanut Butter –Peanut Butter calorie-dense food, a little goes a long way in providing a great-tasting energy boost. Its healthy fats, protein, and fiber help stave off hunger and keep blood-sugar levels stable.
- Kale – Deemed a super food, kale is a great choice for those in need of an energy boost. Kale contains the amino acid L-tyrosine, antioxidants and fiber to fill you up and help keep your blood sugar stable.
- Hummus – Hummus is a great option to go to when you need an energy boost. Eaten with vegetables makes for a healthy, energy packed meal.
- Greek Yogurt – Providing a nice dose of protein and probiotics, Greek yogurt is a great energy boosting snack to have when you’re in need of energy.
- Dark Leafy Greens – Leafy greens can be made into salad which provides energy when needed and also keep you full and satisfied throughout the day. Add vegetables, fruits, or nuts to you salad to please you’re preferences, and get a taste individualized energy boost.
For more great nutrition tips check out our blog page here.
If you’re interested in learning more about how a Wrestler Nutrition Plan could help you, contact us here.